[ale] My modem is ignoring me

Joe Bayes jbayes at cs.oberlin.edu
Wed May 29 11:19:39 EDT 1996

I feel so shunned.

I hooked my modem up to my serial port, and double checked to make
sure I was using the serial port and not the parallel port (male
db25). I turned my modem on, fired up Kermit, double checked that my
device was set correctly, set my speed, then hit "c".

Whatever I typed after this point, not only did my modem not receive
it, but the keystrokes didn't even echo on the screen. The
Serial-HOWTO said nothing about this problem, and a week on and off of
fiddling  with it produced no results.

Please, please tell me what I can do to get my modem to start talking
to me again. I feel so lost, so...disconnected...without it.

--joe