[ale] more memory, bigger swap?

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Tue May 28 15:48:22 EDT 1996

Regarding the discussion about Geoff's swap space question:

  I personally believe the question to be appropiate for this forum, even
  though it is vaguely covered in other documents. The memory management
  system in linux, and most every Unix system, is extremely complicated and
  very hard to predict. This simple question, among others of the kind, can
  fuel a complete usenet newsgroup if it existed.

  Those of you that have read linux.dev.kernel, should have noticed the
  threads related to overcommitment and other memory management issues. That
  is a simple example that can give you a feeling of how complex the memory
  management system is.

  IMHO, the questions that don't belong in this list are those of a very
  simple nature, that can be answered by reading the proper documentation.
  I'm referring to questions such as: "How do I install linux?", "What is
  X", etc.

  In any case, posting a question that is not appropiate should not
  encourage Aler's to mail bitter and abrasive responses such as the one
  Geoff received. Gently pointing the person to the appropiate source is
  more professional, and will show newcomers the high quality of this list.

  Thanks
            /   __  __  __  - __  __ / - _  __  ologgio at vrainn.com
  Omar R.  /__ /_/ /_/ /_/ / /_/ /_/ / /_  /-_  CIS: 74040,1543
                  __/ __/
___C++/6_yrs____Virtual Reality/4_yrs____Vorl_____Linux(free)_______
Attack the problems before they happen