[ale] Which OS for PPP to ISP?

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Tue May 28 13:51:35 EDT 1996

	I haven't used it myself but I have heard good things about something
	called diald. It is a daemon you run and it connects with your ISP
	via SLIP or PPP on demand. It makes the commection on demand and
	after a certain period of inactivity it disconnects the link. So
	while your dowloading something or staying busy doing web browsing
	it would stay connected but once the link was inactive for a period
	of time diald would take the link down. This is similar to the way
	kerneld loads and unloads kernel modules as needed to save memory.
	I don't know if there is a HOWTO on diald but perhaps someone who
	is actually using it could tell you more about it.
--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.