[ale] pre2.0.7 problems

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Mon May 27 23:50:34 EDT 1996

}> On Mon, 27 May 1996, Unix Guru Dude wrote:
}>
}> > }> I also get some wierd messages about flock() as follows:
}> > }>
}> > }> fcntl_setlk() called by process 47 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
}> > }> fcntl_setlk() called by process 49 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
}> > }> fcntl_setlk() called by process 50 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
}> > }
}> > }I get these too.  Somewhere I read that the old libc's don't have a working
}> > }flock(), but I upgraded the libc stuff and that didn't seem to fix it.  I'm
}> > }trying to track down exactly WHERE the detailed information is, but not
}> > }having a whole lot of luck yet :I  If I find it, I'll toss the info out
}> > }here.
}> >
}> > Yeah, I read that was supposed to fix it too, and it didn't.  If I figure it
}> > out, I'll do the same...
}> >
}>
}> If you upgraded libc and it didn't get rid of the flock() messages, then
}> you still have some old statically linked binaries on your system.  Find
}> out which commands are giving the error, and upgrade them as well.
}>
}> later,
}> chris
}>
}> btw, the detailed information is available in linux/Documentation/Changes.
}>
}	What is much more likely is that while Geoff upgraded his ELF stuff
}	to libc-5.X he didn't upgrade his a.out libc to the fixed 4.7.6 version.
}	This is needed to get rid of the last of the broken flock messages.
}	I got my copy from gatech's sunsite mirror.

This worked.  I upgraded my a.out libc to 4.7.6 and the flock messages went
away.  Prior to this, top was exiting with a floating point error.  It now
works.  Thanks everyone...

}--
}Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene
}
}		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
}		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....