[ale] Re: [ale-expo] idea for meetings with AUUG

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed May 22 21:06:39 EDT 1996

Unix Guru Dude enscribed thusly:

> }think that maybe we should say something during the announcements
> }section, but I don't want us to take over the meeting, ...........

	We generally say something during the announcements.  At least
I try to...

> Based on my previous experiences we would be out numbered. :)

	Yes and no...  Most people there ARE INTERESTED in Linux.  Even when
they are not using Linux at the office, an increasing number have it at home
(or are trying to get it in the office).  Linux users, minority to majority -
60/40 pick'em.  Linux interested - majority.  No bout a doubt it.

> }....................................................., unless they
> }want/need a speaker.  From what I've heard in the past, AUUG speakers
> }are booked several months in advance.  (How do they do it?)

	Absolutely.  I'm the speaker for June, representing Internet Security
Systems and talking on Finding Security Vulnerabilities, and that was arranged
in November.  Being the largest UNIX users group in the east and having
membership which has included many of the BIG names in UNIX helps.  Having
been in the game for well over a decade with a broad reputation also helps.

> They have a wider scope and many of the speakers are from large companies
> and unfortunately, I'm sure they feel they are dealing with folks that may
> bring them some sales, vs. 'a bunch of Linux hobyists....'

	Wrong.  Broader scope yes but I don't know of ANYONE at those
meetings who looks down at Linux.  On the contrary, we see a rebirth of the
UNIX spirit in Linux!  Even those vendors and corporate users who are
deeply involved in the commercial *NIX's are interested in Linux.  Last
month, we had a presentation from Sun Microsystems on JAVA and he even
talked about the availability of the developement kits on Linux.

	DON'T sell the general UNIX community short.  Interest in Linux
is growing by leaps and bounds.  A year or so ago, you would have heard
little talk about Linux at AUUG.  Now, a meeting doesn't go by...

> }-Eric.
>
> # STUFF DELETED
>
> --
> Until later:
> Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
> 	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof
>
> 	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/