[ale] re: rxvt

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Mon May 20 22:15:33 EDT 1996

}On Mon, 20 May 1996, Unix Guru Dude wrote:
}
}> I started using rxvt today rather than xterm and found a small difference.
}> when I execute popclient I get the following error messages:
}>
}> popclient: clearbiffbit: fchmod: Operation not permitted
}> mail1 POP3 Server (Version 1.004) ready.
}> 0 messages in folder
}> popclient: restorebiffbit: fchmod: Operation not permitted
}
}Sorry, this message is just asking why you don't put the popclient
}command in your x-window menu, then all you got to do is only a
}click. (I did this).

Well, I do, but I also fire up a call to popclient when I start my network.
Since I start my network at the command line I get the error messages.  I'm
not so concerned with the errors as I am why I'm getting them.  I start my
network on the command line because of recent problems I'm trying to track.

}
}>
}> Now, I had gotten these messages before when I would run popclient in the
}> background.  I was told it was because popclient did not have a tty to
}> write to.  Does this mean rxvt stdout is screwed up?
}>
}> Anyone else have problems with rxvt I should now about.  I'm alread aware of
}> the security issues and patches available to address them.  I decided to go
}> to rxvt because I had heard it uses less memory then xterm, although I don't
}> see anything worth writing home about.
}>
}
}On my DX2-66/8 meg, it's observable faster than xterm. I also found that
}the root has less time than a normal user starting up rxvt(don't know the
}reason).

It appears to me that it starts up much faster too, but scrolling seems
slower.

}
}Cheers
}Pinwu
}
}******************************************************************
}*                                                                *
}*  Pinwu Xu                                                      *
}*  pxu at buster.eng.ua.edu                                         *
}*  pxu3 at ua1vm.ua.edu                                             *
}*  http://www.eng.ua.edu/college/people/pxu/index.html           *
}
}

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....