[ale] gcc-2.7.2

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Fri May 17 22:22:23 EDT 1996

David Cleveland Haynes wrote:
> 	Anyone successfully using gcc-2.7.2 ?
>
> 	I have upgraded to the following:
>
> 	libc-5.3.12
>         ld.so.1.7.14
> 	make-3.74
> 	binutils-2.6.0.12
>         linux-pre2.0.4
>
> 	and am still not able to get gcc-2.7.2 to work right. I have also
> tried 2.7.2p and get the following:
>
> 	- the kernel compiles, but does not link, complaining about floppy
> routines not being found.I have tried at least 4 different kernel releases
> with gcc-2.7.2
>
> 	- I do the same with gcc-2.7.0 installed and everything works great.

 I upgraded my system from gcc-2.6.3 & libc-4.6.27 to gcc-2.7.2 & libc-5.3.12
 (as well as the libc-4.7.5 & 4.7.6 stuff) and other than having to get the
 latest modules code (1.3.69k) and gdb-1.7.3, everything went smoothly. I was
 very suprised at how easy it actually was. I had been putting this off for a
 while since I didn't want to hose my system however I finally got tired of
 the broken flock emulation messages. I recompiled my kernel as ELF and after
 upgrading the modules package it loaded and runs fine.

 Are you removing the source tree each time you upgrade kernels or just
 unpacking the new kernel source on top of the different version?

 How about other programs? Any problems compiling something else besides the
 kernel?

--
Steven A. DuChene   Linux Weenie!  http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"