[ale] gcc-2.7.2

tony mancill tmancill at atlanta.com
Fri May 17 07:25:35 EDT 1996

On Fri, 17 May 1996, David Cleveland Haynes wrote:

> Fellow Linux users:
>
> 	Anyone successfully using gcc-2.7.2 ?
>
> 	I have upgraded to the following:
>
> 	libc-5.3.12
>         ld.so.1.7.14
> 	make-3.74
> 	binutils-2.6.0.12
>         linux-pre2.0.4
>
> 	and am still not able to get gcc-2.7.2 to work right. I have also
> tried 2.7.2p and get the following:
>
> 	- the kernel compiles, but does not link, complaining about floppy
> routines not being found.I have tried at least 4 different kernel releases
> with gcc-2.7.2

I had this exact problem, and it all came down to the version of
"objdump" in binutils-2.6; it seems that they have changed some of the
command-line options fairly significantly.  I setup my PATH to run across
the old version of "objdump" first, and no more weird errors.

(This might not apply for such a recent kernel.  My problems were with
1.3.41.)

Hope that helps,
tony

tmancill at atlanta.com		|  "...an ounce of perception,
	Veni, Vidi, Dolavi...	|      a pound of obscure..."  (Neil Peart)