[ale] Can;t run kernel: Unable to mount root

Zot O'Connor zot at crl.com
Fri May 17 15:18:30 EDT 1996

I see to be having some problems compiling.  Whenever I compile and
attempt to run the kernel I get:

Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:11

Whether I do a zdisk, or zImage

At first I thought it was because I was comiling on sda and in the
Makefile said ROOT=CURRENT and the root structure is on sdb

So I tried
ROOT=/dev/sda
ROOT=/dev/sdb
ROOT=/dev/sdb1
ROOT=FLOPPY

All with the same result.  Do I need to do a make mrproper after chaning
root?

I had a number of wierd errors that reloading form readhat, *seemed*
to solve.  I had to reinstall, though rdev kept failing on lib.4.sc not
found.

Also is it possible to add IPforwarding as a module?  I don't quite
understand modules yet, are they only in 1.3.x?

--
Later,
ZOT                                                        zot at crl.com