[ale] terminal 'linux'

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Thu May 16 15:02:54 EDT 1996

Jim wrote:
> I keep getting unknown terminal type error from several apps.  Does
> anyone know how to fix this?
>
> it syas 'linux': Unknown terminal type

 You need to modify your /etc/termcap since the default console device in
 the newer kernels is "linux" instead of "console". Just add the entry
 to the header line of the termcap entry for console.

 i.e.

console|linux:\
	:am:eo:mi:ms:ut:xn:xo:\
	:co#80:it#8:li#25:\

and etc.

This was done to stop confusion with various other OS versions that also
had a "console" termcap entry. I believe there is details on this
change in the kernel source Documentation directory. Read the source, Luke!

:-)

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.