[ale] landscape printing

Mark J. Reed mark_reed at sware.com
Tue May 14 08:14:52 EDT 1996

Unix Guru Dude <geof at denali.is.net> writes:
\ Anyone like to share how I can print landscape to my printer?
That depends entirely on what type of printer.

If you're printing a text document and you have a PostScript driver for
the printer (e.g. ghostscript), then you can use the 'nenscript'
program with the '-r' (rotate) option to turn the text into PostScript
that prints in landscape mode:

	nenscript -p- -r filename | lpr

(Where "lpr" may be replaced by whatever you have to do to print
PostScript, if you don't have that built into the lpd subsystem).
With the above command, the text is still the same size as if it were
portrait; if you need to get even more text per line, you can shrink
the font:

	nenscript -p- -r -fCourier7 filename | lpr

You can also use this technique to print two half-size portrait pages
on one landscape printout, thus saving paper:

	nenscript -p- -2r filename | lpr

There may be other ways to do this, but they would be printer-specific.

--
Mark J. Reed                     |             http://www.sware.com
Email: mark_reed at secureware.com  |  HP Internet/System Security Lab