[ale] Native Java support in Linux!!!

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Sat May 11 12:13:06 EDT 1996

I am including a file that just got created on my system when I patched
my Linux kernel source to 1.3.100
--
Steven A. DuChene       Linux Weenie!    http://www.ysu.edu/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"

               JAVA Binary Kernel Support for Linux v1.01

Linux beats them ALL! While all other OS's are TALKING about direct
support of Java Binaries in the OS, Linux is doing it!

You execute Java classes as you would any other executable, after a few
small details:

	1) You MUST FIRST install the Java Developers Kit for Linux.
	   The Java on Linux HOWTO gives the details on getting and
	   installing this. This HOWTO can be found at:

		ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Java-HOWTO

	   If you install the JDK in a location other than the suggested
	   directory of /usr/local/java, then you will need to edit the
	   kernel's fs/binfmt_java.c file and make the needed change to the
	   _PATH_JAVA definition at the top of that file.

	2) You must chmod the '*.class' files you wish to execute with
	   the execute bit. This is not normally (till now) done with
	   '.class' files.

	3) You must optionally export a CLASSPATH environment variable,
	   if you plan to use Java applications installed outside of
	   /usr/local/java/classes/*.

	4) Either compile your kernel with Java support builtin, or
	   as a loadable module. If a module, load it with insmod or
	   kerneld.

To test your new setup, enter in the following simple Java app, and name
it "HelloWorld.java":

	class HelloWorld {
			System.out.println("Hello World!");
		}
	}

Now compile the application with:

	/usr/local/java/bin/javac HelloWorld.java

Set the executable permissions of the binary file, with:

	chmod 755 HelloWorld.class

And then execute it:

	./HellowWorld.class

Yes, it's JUST THAT EASY! ;-)

Nope, I didn't forget about Java Applets! ;-)

While this may not be the best way to do this, it works!

Take any html file used with the Java appletviewer (like the
demo/Blink/example1.html file), and:

	1) Insert a new first line of:

		<!--applet-->

	   Make sure the '<' is the first character in the file. This
	   will be treated as a valid HTML comment outside of this
	   Java Applet support, so the modified file can still be used
	   with all known browsers.

	2) If you install the JDK in a location other than the suggested
	   directory of /usr/local/java, then you will need to edit the
	   kernel's fs/binfmt_java.c file and make the needed change to the
	   _PATH_APPLET definition at the top of that file.

	3) You must chmod the '*.html' files you wish to execute with
	   the execute bit. This is not normally (till now) done with
	   '.html' files.

	4) And then execute it.

Brian A. Lantz
brian at lantz.com