[ale] Digital TV.

Robert L. Harris rharris at twcable.com
Sat May 11 11:11:12 EDT 1996

On May 11, 10:43am, Unix Guru Dude wrote:
> Subject: Re: [ale] Digital TV.
> }What we are doing is taking the digital information, shoving it into an IP
> }encapsulation, then running it through an RF modulator (like a modem
> }perhaps????  :>) then shoving it over the fiber to your house where your
> }converter box "reads" the IP data flowing over the analog line and decodes
it.
> }
> }Getting CD quality from an analog tape is not quite the right analogy.  More
> }like copying a CD onto a DAT tape.  It's a tape, but in digital format.
>
> Since the 'D' in DAT stands for digital, I'd like to know how you can say
that
> that is a better analogy?  The key is that you said my 'converter box "reads"
> the IP data flowing over the analog line.'  Therefore it's analog not
digital.
> Any gain by the digital is lost when converted back to analog.  As a matter
of
> fact, there is a 'school of thought' that believes you would have been better
> off going analog to analog vs. analog to digital to analog.
>
> }
> }Anyone in Orlando Fla?  I'll give a tour and let a 3rd party give an
optinion.
> }
> }
> }Rob.
> }
> }P.S.-->  I'm a Sys-Admin, not a Salesman.
>
> True, but we are all Salesman to some extent for the companies we work for.
> I'm just not sure if you don't understand conversions from digital to analog
> or if I'm missing something here...

No, we are not converting the digital info to analog.  We are taking digital
info, encapsulating it in ip, then sending that over an analog carrier.  The
data is not converted to analog.

Take a towel, put it in a watertight tube, and deliver it over seas by
submarine, and then remove it from the tube on the other side.  The info is
only carried by the analog, not converted to it in the sense of the analog is
used as nothing but a transport agent.

Robert L. Harris
FSN Administrator -- Time Warner Cable, Orlando Fla.

Email:
-----
Robert.Harris at twcable.com
Nomad at netwide.net

#Give Me Un*x or Give Me Death	#				 #
#				# My Opinions alone... Possibly  #
#There are two major products	#  borrowed from someone else,   #
# to come out of Berkeley: LSD	#  but it's no-one you know want #
# and Unix.  Coincidence? DON'T	#  to know, and I'm expressing	 #
# THINK SO!!!			#  them as my own.		 #

key to UNIX: echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq'|dc