[ale] Digital TV...

nomad nomad at netwide.net
Fri May 10 17:39:12 EDT 1996

Geoffrey Myers wrote:

> This off the list subject, but....
>
> At the little get together at Denny's after the meeting last night, there
> was a short discussion regarding digital TV and I had mentioned that there
> was alot of talk a while back, and then it just died.  I received the
> following from a company mail list regarding this subject:
>
> >          *** DIGITAL TV STANDARDS -- Federal regulators formally proposed
> >          standards today to govern television broadcasters' transition from
> >          analog broadcast technology to high-resolution, digital
> >          technology.  The standards, developed during the last eight years
> >          by a coalition of companies and researchers known as the "grand
> >          alliance," are intended to insure a uniform transition to the
> >          digital technology, which will let TV stations transmit pictures
> >          almost as sharp as the 35-millimeter images seen in movie
> >          theaters.  The alliance includes AT&T, General Instrument,
> >          Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Philips Consumer
> >          Electronics, David Sarnoff Research Center, Thomson Consumer
> >          Electronics and Zenith Electronics. [NY Times]

If you're refering to the interactive digital television, let me know.  That's
what I work on.  We're up and running in customer homes...

Robert L. Harris
FSN System Administrator, Time Warner Cable.
e-mail: Robert.Harris at twcable.com
        nomad at netwide.net

# Un*x FOREVER         # These are my thoughts    #
#                      #  and only my thoughts.   #
# Never Play LeapFrog  #  Any resembleance to     #
#  With a Unicorn!     #  anyone else's thoughts  #
#                      #  is either coincidence,  #
#                      #  or they stole them      #
#                      #  from me.                #