[ale] login.c

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Wed May 8 17:46:55 EDT 1996

}Well, I suspect that other programs that access the passwd file, such as
}passwd, are expecting the maximum 8 characters.  I suspect you may have
}to modify ALL programs that access the /etc/passwd file...
}
}I created a login called 'webmaster' on my machine.  Whenever that login
}creates a file, the file is owned by 'webmaste'
}^^^^^^
}
}Thats an interesting point.  If we look at what happens when we do an =
}nfs mount to another Linux box and say our user Joe who has uid no. 502 =
}creats a file we find that if the server box has a user Bob with uid 502 =
}that the server box shows the owner as Bob and the client box shows the =
}owner as Joe.  Point is that the ls command probably generates it's =
}ouput like this
}	printf( "%s %s %s %8s %s", rights_str, another_str, onemore_str, =
}owner_str, file_name );
}or somthing like that.
}Since I posted this message I have began to think of the various =
}programs that would be affected and I think I might get the source files =
}for each of them to see what it would take to make the transition.
}
}Thanks for the help
}
}
}There's alot to think about there.

Yeah.  By the way, we used to NFS on some old 3b2's and we would always
sync the ids on the machines, ie, Bob would have the same uid on
both machines.  This way whenever Bob created a file, regardless of on
which machine and from which machine, he always owned it.  As a matter
of fact, the old Starlan networking software package would actually ask
you if you wanted to 'sync' ids and it would do it for you.

Have fun...

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   Unix.Guru.Dude at worldnet.att.net
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....