[ale] login.c

Todd B SanMillan bain at crl.com
Wed May 8 15:06:49 EDT 1996

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Unix Guru Dude wrote:

<snip>
> }I also need to allow my usernames to be more than 8 characters.  As I =
<snip>

> Well, I suspect that other programs that access the passwd file, such as
> passwd, are expecting the maximum 8 characters.  I suspect you may have
> to modify ALL programs that access the /etc/passwd file...

I forget exactly when, but a few months ago in Linux Journal there was a
security article, by AEllen Frisch, who wrote the O'Rielly Unix Security
book that recommended changing passwords to 16 characters.  There was a
simple patch available, but she didn't mention needing to modify other
programs.  I can look it up if anyone is interested.

Todd SanMillan