[ale] login.c

David Hamm dhamm at itserve.com
Tue May 7 08:48:46 EDT 1996

I got a copy of the source file for login.c and looked through it.  The =
code is very readable so I'm probably going to change it to present the =
username: prompt instead of login: . I hate to memic NT but it will =
reduce my support overhead. =20
I also need to allow my usernames to be more than 8 characters.  As I =
looked through the code I found the define that sets the length of the =
buffer for the login prompt.  It appears as though it will be an easy =
edit.  Is there any reason that the login program only allows 8 =
characters for a username? I am new to Unix/Linux and I can't think of =
any reason I shouldn't change the buffer size to 32 chararcters. =20

Thanks

David