[ale] X died....

Unix Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Fri May 3 23:14:37 EDT 1996

}xdm crapped out on me, and now X won't start.  I get this:
}
}
}TRANS(SocketCreateListener): failed to bind listener
}TRANS(SocketUNIXCreateListener): TRANS(SocketCreateListener) () failed
}TRANS(MakeAllCOTSServerListeners) failed to create listener for local
}
}XFree86 Version 3.1.2 / X Window System
}(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6000)
}Operating System: Linux
}Configured drivers:
}  S3: accelerated server for S3 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0)
}      mmio_928, s3_generic
}
}Fatal server error:
}xf86OpenConsole: Server must be suid root

I don't know if this will help, but the above message can easily be
checked out.  Check for the permissions on your server.  It should be
under /usr/X11R6/bin and linked to /var/X11R6/bin/X.  The suid bit should
be set.  I don't know if this will help, but you might check it out.

}
}TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 22
}
}waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
}giving up.
}xinit:  Invalid argument (errno 22):  unable to connect to X server
}xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
}
}
}Any ideas?
}
}
}Michael Ivey, SysAdmin  gstv.gsu.edu    |  Send mail with "Subject: GET LIST"
}ivey at gsu.edu http://gstv.gsu.edu/~ivey  |  for PGP key, Geek Code block, etc.
}                      I'm straight, but not narrow.
}
}            Perl is the Pathway to Insanity.......My key to UNIX:
}  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

--
Until later:
Geoffrey Myers   geof at denali.is.net   gamyers at attmail.com
	http://www.ticllc.net/~geof  or http://denali.is.net/~geof

	Opinions expressed by me are mine, all mine, only mine.....