[ale] Netconfig for SUN SPARC

Alexei Rodriguez alexei at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 28 13:48:37 EST 1996

+--- In a previous life,  David Hamm <dhamm at itserve.com> wrote:

| I've got a SPARC 20 running solaris which SUN has managed to hide any =
| clues of how to set the IP address the Gateway or the Netmask.  You know =

To set the ip address: edit the hostname in /etc/hostname.le0. Then make sure the
host is listed in /etc/hosts. There are some other places but this is the
main one. As for the default gateway, you need to edit a file called
/etc/defaultrouter. Add the gateway there.

If you are using DNS then you will have to add the /etc/resolv.conf file
and edit the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

| all those things that Slakware's Netconfig program does for you and of =
| course I've looked in the docs and found nothing that would help.  Could =
| any body tell me where to set these values so that I don't have to hack =

The only problem with having magical scripts that set up networking is that
people don't know what the plumbing is that makes it possible. Unfortunate.

These and other answers are available in the Sun FAQ, btw.
Hope this helps.

Alexei