[ale] ppp speed

Pinwu Xu pxu at eng.ua.edu
Thu Mar 28 11:05:31 EST 1996

Hi all,
   I got ppp link to ISP. However, the speed is not acceptablly slow.
Even with telnet, I should wait about 10 seconds to see the echo of what
I typed. I got slip work first, and it's fine(now I'm using it).

   The chat script I used is usual ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' '' ATZ
OK ATDT3484350 CONNECT "" UA> login rname:myloginname ssword: \qxxxxxxxx
> \qppp\s/compressed\default

   The pppd daemon is invoked as the following:
/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/local/sbin/netdialer' /dev/modem 38400
crtscts modem defaultroute noipdefault lock

   And the "netdialer" script is:
CHATSCRIPT='the above script'

touch $DIALLOCK
while ! /usr/sbin/chat -vf $CHATSCRIPT ; do
 	$LOG "not connected, redialing"

Anybody has the same experience? How to fix it? Is it possible that the
modem being set a low 38400 rate? my modem is 14.4k. While using slip, I
set speed at 115200.

Thanks in advance.

Pinwu

*  Pinwu Xu                                                      *
*  pxu at buster.eng.ua.edu                                         *
*  pxu3 at ua1vm.ua.edu                                             *
*  http://www.eng.ua.edu/college/people/pxu/index.html           *