[ale] Linking Linuxes

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Tue Mar 26 08:12:35 EST 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Mon Mar 25 15:11 EST 1996
> From: "Dan Newcombe" <newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu>
(snip)
> It may be some kinda proxy server, or special DNS setup which gives a
> different address each time to keep them rotating.  The main concern
> would be how do you let all 8 share data?  Do they all have copies of
> the same data on thier machines?  Or are they linked via a fast
> ethernet internally, with external connections on another net segment?
Ethernet?  I suspect FDDI, ATM or HiPPI.  Maybe they have some
network disk arrays on a HiPPI switch and running some sort of
shared file system.  That would give you nearly 100-200 Mbytes/second
disk access.  Or they could be using NFS/DFS over FDDI, ATM or HiPPI.
DFS has local caching, I think, so it would be superior for that
kind of an access.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269