[ale] More AJC Stuff

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Tue Mar 26 08:05:25 EST 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Mon Mar 25 14:51 EST 1996
> From: Matt McMillin <imnlfn at atlanta.com>
(snip)
> was Bill Husted's column, "Technobuddy," the subject of which was ham radio!
> Now, if ham radio has become more mainstream than the Unix operating
> system, then it has done so without my noticing it.  (Please let me know if it

Well, to be honest, I think it is.  There's been a lot of publicity
about ham radio over the years and it many times falls in the "human interest"
category.  Hams helping in emergency communications, hams being the only
communciations out of war-torn Bosnia, a boat in distress reported by
a ham radio operator, etc.  People might have heard of UNIX as often,
but they probably don't have anything to relate it to, so they don't
remember it.  I'll bet if you took a survey of your non-technical friends
(you do have some, don't you?  8^), I'm not sure I do...)
You'd get this reply:

Have you ever heard of ham radio?

   "Oh, yes, my brother is a ham, he's had a CB for years!"
   (Not that CB is ham radio, for sure, but the two are confused
   frequently)

Have you ever heard of the UNIX operating system?

   "Eunuch operating system?  Is that a sex change operation?"

> indeed has.)  The second column was the one concerning the Macintosh they
> regularly run in this section.  It mentioned the phrase "operating system" twice
> My complaint is still not with AJC for not running a piece on Linux.  Instead,
> it's with those people representing the AJC for not being entirely honest about
> their reasons for not running such a piece.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269