[ale] Clock synch

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 19 10:08:38 EST 1996

KJ- I was wondering if there was a remote clock sync utility such as rdate
KJ- for Linux. Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.,

I use netdate, which I have in a script called set_clocks:
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/netdate -v tycho.usno.navy.mil tick.usno.navy.mil
/sbin/clock -w; date

There are three wrinkles:
1) I can't remember where I grabbed netdate.  You'll have to run it down.
2) Our nameserver often has to be reminded where tycho and tick are --
   I 'ping' them to educate it, but it would be nicer to have this in the
   script.
3) You must be 'su' or 'root' to execute 'clock -w' (understandably, I
   guess).

Maybe some clever folks can clean this up a bit for us.

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
          "Lies, damned lies, statistics, and simulations."