[ale] A lightweight X editor

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 13 11:51:49 EST 1996

dn- Are there any recommendations for a lightweight X based editor?

I don't know what you need as "lightweight" -- but I am very happy with:

~$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/nedit
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       226296 Dec  5 16:12 /usr/X11R6/bin/nedit
~$ ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/nedit
        libXm.so.2 (DLL Jump 2.0) => /lib/libXm.so.2.0.0
        libXt.so.6 (DLL Jump 6.0) => /usr/X11/lib/libXt.so.6.0
        libX11.so.6 (DLL Jump 6.0) => /usr/X11/lib/libX11.so.6.0
        libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.6pl27) => /usr/lib/libc.so.4.6.27

This is fundamentally a Motif tool, available in source from Fermilab and
as static images [elsewhere on the net] for Linux.  I built is as shown above,
and also statically linked for my XView environment at home.  I find it slow
to start at home, but that may be processor speed.  I originally built nedit
for our SunOS/Motif setup and it was very well liked.  It is my preferred
editor in Linux/MooTiff.  Even in XView, cut-and-paste seems to work from
xterms, unlike textedit.

Nedit has multiple windows and plenty of resources to customize -- given the
sources, you could naturally modify it substantially.  Basically a straight-
ahead editor (i.e., no context highlighting), with rudimentary shell-outs
which could easily be improved.  Not too bad a build, as far as I recall:
just set your include and lib references and any CFLAGS you like (but it
has been a while since I built it!).

JOE is also nice and useful, but I've never found a color setup which is
as handy in X as the defaults on a console session.

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
      "you don't exist - go away" -- Linux message I once received