[ale] Timezones for countries?

Omar Loggiodice ologgio at vrainn.com
Sat Mar 9 11:10:45 EST 1996

Bob Toxen Writes :
:
:How can I determine what timezone (or timezones) a country is in?
:
:While Linux's /usr/lib/zoneinfo lists some countries specificially, how
:can I determine the zone for other countries.  I.e., is Spain in
:Central European Time or Eastern European time?  Is Toronto, Canada in
:Eastern Canadian Time or Central Canadian Time?
:
:I'm looking for info for as many countries as possible for web project
:(to be available soon).
:
Hi Bob,

   The time that every city uses depends on many variables, the general rule
is that every 15 degress of change in longitude means a 1 Hour change in
their time zone, the base reference being the Greenwich (sp?) meridian. If
you move towards the west, time decreases (earlier times than your initial
point); and if you move towards the east time increases (later times in
comarison with your reference). Most cities choose the closest meridian, but
there are some strange cities that chose to be in the "middle" of two
meridians, making the difference 30 min from the closest meridian.

   Like I said, the above is the basic algorithm, but there are many other
variables. Such as daylight savings time, etc. The best bet is to check with
your local library, I can't remember the name, but there is an Atlas that
lists the timezones for all known cities.

:Thanks very much,
:
:Bob Toxen
:bob at cavu.com
:http://www.mindspring.com/~cavu
:Fly-By-Day Consulting
:"Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus" (We came, we saw, we hacked)
:

            /   __  __  __  - __  __ / - _  __  ologgio at vrainn.com
  Omar R.  /__ /_/ /_/ /_/ / /_/ /_/ / /_  /-_  CIS: 74040,1543
                  __/ __/
___C++/6_yrs____Virtual Reality/4_yrs____Vorl_____Linux(free)_______
Attack the problems before they happen