[ale] Problem compiling program with MooTiff

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 7 15:17:48 EST 1996

tt I am tryting to compile a program call Xmgr.  It requires Moo-tiff
tt which I have now.  It compiles fine, then gives the message:

tt   xmgr: can't resolve symbol 'XShapeQueryExtension'

tt Anyone with ideas as to what is wrong?  I can get another version of
tt the source and try to compile it..l

Not so fast.

I believe this is in the "X extensions" library package, which I have
as:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.a   /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.sa

Hope that gets you off the rock.

Note that many such entries are listed in man3, for example:
*******
%man XShapeQueryExtension

XSHAPE(3X11)               X FUNCTIONS               XSHAPE(3X11)

NAME
       XShapeQueryExtension, XShapeQueryVersion, XShapeCombineRe-
       gion,     XShapeCombineRectangles,      XShapeCombineMask,
       XShapeCombineShape, XShapeOffsetShape, XShapeQueryExtents,
       XShapeSelectInput,  XShapeInputSelected,  XShapeGetRectan-
       gles - X nonrectangular shape functions

SYNTAX
       #include <X11/extensions/shape.h>
[...]
******

You can guess I dug this out, too.  When I installed MooTiff, I got a
boatload of man3 pages added to what I already had.  Very helpful.

If you generate a cascade of unresolved symbols, you might look at the
following makefile fragment for a static MooTiff build.  (I found for
that I also needed libSM and libICE.)

*******
SRCS            =       main.c
OBJS            =       $(SRCS:.c=.o)
PROGRAM         =       static_main
CC              =       gcc
DEPEND          =       $(CC) -MM
INCLUDE         =       -I/usr/X11R6/include
LIBDIR          =       -L/usr/X11R6/lib
LIBS            =       -lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11 -lSM -lICE
CFLAGS          =       -g -static $(INCLUDE)

all: $(PROGRAM)

$(PROGRAM): $(OBJS)
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(OBJS) $(LIBS) $(LIBDIR) -o $(PROGRAM)

clean:
        rm -f *.o *~ $(PROGRAM)
*******

Regards --jmm--

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
          "Lies, damned lies, statistics, and simulations."