[ale] setting up dial up

MYERS ufpsprod!gmyers at atlml1.attmail.com
Thu Mar 7 12:11:49 EST 1996

} >
} > Hey folks, I'm trying to set up my Linux box at home so I can dial in from
} > work.  I was able to set the modem register that says to answer and I enabled
} > the getty on ttyS0.  Now the problem is, the modem answers but I don't get
} > a login prompt.  So, what am I doing wrong, or where can I look in the
} > HOWTO's to get the answers.
} >
} > Also, I want to be able to use the line for calling out too, but once I
} > started the getty, I couldn't dial out.  I know that in SVR3 UNIX there
} > was this horrible monster called uugetty that would allow this.  I'm hoping
} > that Linux has something that does the same thing, only better....  Any
} > suggestions??
} >
}
} In the serial.howto (I think) it tells you how to set up getty_ps (again,
} I think) to handle dial-in.  I did that once and it worked ok.
}
} I recently installed efax, which is supposed to do either fax or data
} connections, but so far I haven't been able to connect to it as
} a data connection except for one time.  So, if you want to play
} a bit, efax is a simple install.  getty_ps is more complicated.

I've actually got efax working.   I installed it a while back when I couldn't
get Hylafax (sp?) working.  Anyway, I'ver sent and received faxes with this
tool.  I wasn't aware that it could be configured to present login, I'll
have to check it out.

By the way, I've recently installed 'uugetty' (part of getty_ps, I understand)
but since I'm home I can't very well test it.  I know it answers, but
I had 'getty' doing that before.  I plan to test it tommorrow, unless someone
wants to be my guinea pig and dial in for me??? :)

}
} There are probably other, better ways, but no one could tell me how
} when I asked a few months ago.
}
} Jim.
}
} Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
} Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
} Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269

       Until later,       attmail!gamyers      ph  404.810.3250
       Geoffrey Myers                          fax 404.810.2487

       floc 6E26, 1200 Peachtree, Promenade II, Atlanta, GA 30309

      gamyers at attmail.com   geof at denali.is.net   eiger at ichange.com