[ale] Re: binary data format (fwd)

Dave Ritchie der at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Thu Mar 7 11:55:02 EST 1996

> On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Unix Guru Dude wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if I know anything too useful, but I think htonl is along
> the same lines as what I'm about to suggest.  The idea of using htonl is
> to write a C program that uses this function to convert data.  I wonder
> if simply UUENCODEing the data on the sparc, and then UUDECODEing it on
> the linux box will work - same idea, but no programming involved.
>
> Good luck...
>
> - Al Leach (aleach at cc.gatech.edu)

Not hardly.... it will result in the same file on both ends (assuming
that the intermediate file is not corrupted in route).

You will need to write a program to translate this as a binary file
(C being the best choice for this...). You might be able to unload the
data into an ASCII format and reload into the native format on the
remote machine.....

-- Dave Ritchie
der at hpuerca.atl.hp.com