[ale] Q about masquerade on 2.0.1

Bradford Powell bcpowell at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Jun 29 07:05:04 EDT 1996

Well, I've finally found the time to sit down and try to make ip
masquerading work, so the first thing I do is download 2.0.1 and compile
away.  Well, after doing that, I restart, and using the newest version of
ipfwadm and following instructions from some web page, I try:

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a masquerade -S 192.168.2.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

And I got the message that setsockopt failed :(.  Nothing complains if I
replace masquerade with accept, but that doesn't do what I want...

Then I think back the the menuconfig I did and don't seem to remember
saying yes to CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE... So I looked at the .config and it
wasn't there. I tried old make config and it didn't ask either. And yet,
the makefile in ipv4 checks for CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE.  I decided to be a
bit of a rebel and go into the .config file (you know, the one it says
not to edit ;) ) and edit it to include that particular define.

make dep ; make clean ; make zImage ; make modules ; make modules_install
(yes, I remembered to re-run lilo...)

Still no dice...

Anyone know why the CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE isn't in config anymore? Anyone
have masquerading working on 2.0.1?  Any help would be appreciated.

I apologize for the length of this message, I'm just trying to be as
descriptive as possible.  Hopefully I've just done something really
stupid so it will be easy to fix. ;)

--Bradford Powell
--vaps4bp at prism.gatech.edu