[ale] Re: Respawning to fast

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Fri Jun 21 11:10:08 EDT 1996

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Kerr, James A. wrote:

> I'm running slackware 3.0 and kernel 2.0.0  ppp 2.2.0f
>

> Mgetty 0.9.8
>
> I get a msg in syslog that says:
>
> ID "s0" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> How can I stop this?  When this happens I can't dial into my system.  Any
> ideas?

Usually one of two reasons for this.  First, the modem is hard locked and
won't reset or respond to mgetty without power cycling the modem.
Second, someone found out your number and is trying to hack into your
system, or they have the number and an account, but forgot their
password.  After too many repeated attempts to log in without success and
getting disconnected, init will think the mgetty is looping in some
fasion because it is respawning so often and issue the warning you see
and disable the mgetty line for five minutes.

* Doug Ledford                      *   Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x,     *
* dledford at dialnet.net    873-DIAL  *     WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician   *
*   Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
*   communities.  Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other  *
*   873-9000 V.34                   * services available, call for info.    *