[ale] parallel port Zip drive support

Byron A Jeff byron at gemini.cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 10 19:25:03 EDT 1996

>   I am the proud owner of a parallel port version of the ever popular Iomega
> Zip drive.

Congrats to you!

> Could anyone tell me if there are any Linux drivers available or
> under development for this version of the Zip drive.

Of course.

> I've been keeping up
> with the ale mailings for quite a while but I have yet to see this question
> asked by anyone else (I must be the only one out here thats still SCSI
> deprived). I would love to be able to create a file system on it, mount it,
> and generally use it with Linux, but I don't know if that can be done=
>  (yet?).
> Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Take a look at http://www.torque.net/zip.html. It has everything you need
to know.

Fact of the matter is that the driver is included in late model kernels
(including the newly minted v2.0). So you can get a late model kernel
and configure the parallel zip driver right in.

Hope this helps,

BAJ