[ale] rm causing filesystem errors?

Alfred Grahame Leach aleach at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 22 12:51:15 EDT 1996

Well, I'm still trying to get a kernel compiled that I can actually
use...  So far, I've been able to compile absolutely cleanly twice, but
the resulting images (both on floppy and on hd) are garbage, giving crc
errors when the machine tries to boot them.  An earlier suggestion was
that maybe the filesystem was damaged.  I used e2fsck to fix the
filesystem (it found several errors which were only cleaned up after
running this utility 3 times).  I have attempted to remove the linux
directory structure (under /usr/src) using "rm -rf linux" which causes rm
to dump core on each successive execution, but does eventually remove the
directory structure.  However, this hoses the filesystem all over
again...  Any idea about why this is happening?  I'm going to clean out
this directory structure and then run e2fsck until I get no errors, and
then attempt to re-extract the kernel source and start over.  However,
any ideas about why this is happening, or a good way to fix whatever's
going on would highly appreciated.  Help me before the boss gets mad!!!

TIA

- Al

Details:
   DELL 425s/L
   8M RAM
   Adaptec 1515 SCSI
   Conner SCSI hd
   NEC Multispin 3xp plus SCSI
   video on motherboard w/512k
   Intel Ether Express
   RedHat Picasso Linux w/1.2.13 kernel (trying to build 2.0.7 kernel)

  | Al Leach              |  Georgia Tech              | Sailing is:       |
  | Graduate Student      |  College of Computing      |  hours and hours  |
  | MS, CS/Networking     |  Atlanta, GA 30332         |  of boredom,      |
  | email: aleach at cc.gatech.edu                        |  moments of sheer |
  | WWW: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/aleach   |  stark terror...  |
  |     < Georgia Tech - Olympic Village of the 1996 Summer Olympics >     |