[ale] Video Wars

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Wed Jul 17 12:20:27 EDT 1996

Posts regarding problems getting a Diamond Stealth64 Video Vram to work
with XFree86:
> I got this working right last night. Turned out the key was an option:
> "slow_vram". Sounds kinda bad but it works now. I have the 968 chip.
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Incidentally, I wonder what the pros and cons of supplying various options
> in XFConfig versus allowing the server to probe for the values? Really,
> the probe finds nearly all the information; why not just leave it out
> of the config file?

	What version is your Xserver (you can see what this is from the
Xserver startup messages)? If your not running a current version (3.1.2
or newer, latest is 3.1.2e) you need to upgrade since the newer versions
include fixes for this exact problem.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.