[ale] Fvwm95 (Windows95-like X window manager) et alia

R I Feigenblatt docdtv at tiger.avana.net
Mon Jul 15 17:32:53 EDT 1996

I am sorry so many people seem to be having trouble making this work.
I just downloaded the installation file (as it existed at the time),
followed the instructions, and it simply worked. Honestly!

I'm glad several of our readers agree that Fvwm95 is a useful advance
over previous windows managers available for Linux.

One issue the post Keith Berger implicitly raises is the difficulty with
which any complicated change to one's system is rolled back, if it all.

Journaling file system were developed mostly for the sake of insuring the
integrity of application transactions (like banking activity). But another
potential application is the ability to log a series of file system changes,
maintaining backup copies of overwritten files and permission/link tuples.
This enables one to roll back the persistent memory of one's system (aka
the file system) to a known working state, without time-consuming and
potentially complicated activity like doing tape-based backups and restores
(which often cannot be fully done because operating systems generally forbid
the overwriting of 'system' files which mirror running binary code!)

Has any progress been made in creating a transaction-based filesystem for Linux?
Given the rapid, perpetual change in computing these days, not the least with
Linux, it would seem the ability to try something new or even under development
and yet not risk the basic function of one's work-a-day system is of CRITICAL
importance!

RF