[ale] Removable HD INFO

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Mon Jul 15 08:02:26 EDT 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Fri Jul 12 17:57 EDT 1996
> From: David Hamm <dhamm at itserve.com>
> To: "'ALE'" <ale at cc.gatech.edu>
> Subject: [ale] Removable HD INFO
> Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:43:18 -0400
> Encoding: 2 TEXT
>

> MICROWAREHOUSE	1-800-367-6808

I ordered one Friday and it arrived on Saturday.  I got the SCSI external
variety.  It came with a cable with a DB-25 on one end and a C-50
on the other.  I already had a 60 Mb tape drive so I replaced it with
the EZ-135.  I brought it up under windows 3.1 and re-formatted a
disk.  I then tried to boot Linux.  I've got a 750 Mb scsi hard drive
for Linux and, of course, that drive became sdb, so I couldn't find
my scsi partitions.  Fortunately I have my root partition on an IDE
disk so I booted single user and changed my fstab entries to sdb.
I was able to successfully mount the EZ-135 as a dos partition and
then reformat (mkfs)  it as an ext2 partition.  I haven't checked
the performance, but it seems to work just fine.  It is a reasonable
alternative to the zip drive, me thinks.  Now I just gotta find a
cheaper source of carts.  If anyone has anything they want me to
try, let me know.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269