[ale] motherboard recommendations?

Jonathan Jespersen jjespers at st6000.sct.edu
Sun Jul 14 21:31:35 EDT 1996

Cyrix and other chip-making companies are trying to standardize a chip
notation that isn't based on speed in MHz.  That is why you will see
Cyriz 6x86 P166+ -  a notation meaning that the chip is equivalent in
performance to the Pentium 166, when the Cyrix chip is actually a 150MHz.
All of Cyrix's 6x86 chips that I've seen use this notation, and I've read
in Byte Magazine that the Other chip manufacturers are also using it.

Jonathan

Note:  The benchmark used to rate the chips was Winmark and WinStone
for Windows 95.  As far as chip testing goes, these do not use floating
point math.  Byte Magazine also said that Intel's FPU was much stronger
than any other manufacturer's, but the benchmarks didn't show it.