[ale] two questions

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat Jul 13 12:16:44 EDT 1996

Hey Bing!

Bing enscribed thusly:

> I am running 2.0.0 kernel, with slackware 3.0

> I'd like to run 12 virtual consoles instead of the six it defaults to.
> How do I do this?

	Edit inittab and add some virtual screen entries...

===== From /etc/inittab =====
  # Note: for 'agetty' you use linespeed, line.
  # for 'getty_ps' you use line, linespeed and also use 'gettydefs'
  c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1
  c2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2
  c3:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3
  c4:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4
  c5:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5
  c6:456:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6
+ c7:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty7
+ c8:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty8
+ c9:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty9
+ cx:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty10
+ cb:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty11
+ cc:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty12
===== From /etc/inittab =====

	You will probably have to do a mknod to create tty10, tty11, and tty12.
They don't seem to be there in the default distribution.

	There is also a conflict where the "ca" entry is already used by
the control alt delete "three fingered salute" so I used cx.  (Actually
should change the other to keep the console block clean - oh well).

> After I do a 'init q' the system will not shutdown.  Shutdown reports
> that it is already running when it really isn't.  Any work around for this?

	"init q" is a "tell init quick".  Init reloads his tables and makes
changes accordingly.  That shouldn't have anything to do with shutdown.  The
shutdown report that shutdown is already running comes from the existence
of /etc/shutdownpid and the value in that file points at a running process
(whether it is shutdown or not).  Just remove that file and your fine.  I've
modified one of my rc files to ALWAYS remove /etc/shutdownpid on bootup.
I discovered that if you reboot your system very soon after booting it up,
you stand a high probability of creating that file with a very low number.
If that number is then occupied by some daemon or long lived process after
the system comes up again, you get this bogus error.

> Bing

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/