[ale] Pine POP3

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Fri Jul 12 14:08:55 EDT 1996

If popclient is compiled properly for Linux (meaning the .h files
are set to use sendmail and not something else), it will hand off
your mail to sendmail with your userid by default.  You shouldn't
have to specify an output file with -o.  Then you just use elm or
pine or mail or whatever in their normal way.... no monkeying
with the incoming mailbox or folder is needed then.

Beware, the first beta release of Caldera didn't have popclient
compiled correctly and I don't know about subsequent releases
(and that probably goes for Red Hat since Caldera is based on it).
Popclient with Slackware 3.0 should be fine.

blackgr at sysconn.com wrote:
> I'm not sure if you were referring to me or not, and I don't know
> whether or not this is the best way to approach this, but I'll pass
> this information on to you.  I'm accessing the internet through a
> WorldGroup BBS, so things may be different with your situation.
>
> I'm not really using pine to directly access a pop3 server. Take a look
> at the popclient man page. I access my ISP via slip. I then start up a
> simple shell script that I included the following command and options
> (unless you prefer type this in each time :-)):
>
> popclient -3 -v -u blackgr -p mypassword -o
> /home/glynn/mail/whatever-file-name sysconn.com
>
> I don't have the details in front of me but I set a pointer in .pinerc
> which I believe was under the section "Collections, Folders and Files".
>  I think it was "incoming-folders=" that I set to reflect the file path
> indicated in the -o localfolder option with popclient.
>
> When popclient finishes, I disconnect and startup pine. By selecting
> the "I" option "View messages in current folder," pine opens up to the
> email downloaded by popclient.
>
> I haven't found the time yet to set up sendmail to send email and I am
> still uncertain where I will be queueing up mail composed offline to
> send after connecting, but hopefully this will workout.
>
> Glynn Black          blackgr at sysconn.com

Andrew Newton
Andrew.Newton at automatedlogic.com
lfs at eskimo.com