[ale] Linux and X10

Jason Boyles jason at shawinc.com
Tue Jul 9 14:19:31 EDT 1996

        I've been looking through some home automation catalogs and considering
 the purchase of some X10 modules, contingent on my ability to control them from
 my Linux machine.

        I have found a relatively inexpensive device which will convert X10
 signals into ASCII codes and vice versa.

        Check it out at   http://www.smarthome.com/smarthome/1150.html

        Is there any freely available software for Linux or generic UNIX which
 will allow me to control such a device? I'd like to avoid unnecessary
 reinvention of wheels.

             My altavista search turned up software to control the CP290, a
 device which apparently only SENDS X10 signals. I would like to receive them as
 well, which the aforementioned device
 (http://www.smarthome.com/smarthome/1150.html) will do.

        I have grand visions of my Linux machine alerting me to the presence of
 visitors and brewing coffee on command. Can sentience be very far off?? :-)

        Actually, I have much more mundane immediate applications, such as
 remote power cycling of computer hardware.

 Any info would be appreciated.

 ----
 Jason Boyles <jason at shawinc.com>