ELM

Galen Meurer galen at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 21 12:08:01 EST 1996

I had this difficulty as well and after some digging found this:
ELM FAQ - error "Waiting to read
mailbox..."

Possible reasons for this can be wrong permissions of the ELM binary:

      wrong permissions (should be 2755)
      wrong owner of the elm binary
      wrong group of the elm binary (should be the same as your mailbox's
group)
      wrong locking style for your system
      wrong permissions of /var/spool/mail (should be 775, Slackware made it
755)

This error typically comes up after a (re)installation of ELM.

My problem was the permissions of /var/spool/mail, but my symptom was not
quite the same as yours.  All users with the exception of root would get the
message you describe.  Perhaps your cause will be one of the others listed.

Best,
Galen Meurer
sitio at mindspring.com