sendmail...

Joseph Knapka jknapka at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 26 21:34:28 EST 1996

In the "avoiding the reinvention of the wheel" category...

I presume others have solved this problem before, and I'd love to
know how. I need for all mail originating on my Linux box and delivered
remotely to appear to originate from "jknapka at mindspring.com". This is
because the only way for mail to get into my system is for me to
retrieve it from the mailbox of that name via POP. I have had several
complaints that my outgoing mail did not have a valid From: line,
which means that replies don't work right.

I spent some time messing with the linux....mc file and generating
.cf files from it, and I have got to the point where sendmail puts
the right address in the Return-Path: field, and gets the domain
right in the From: line; however, the user name in the From: line
is still (often) being set to my local user name ("joe"), which is no
good at all; I think this is because in some cases the From: line is
being supplied by the user agent. I need ALL From: lines, even those
 supplied by user agents,
to be rewritten as "jknapka at mindspring.com". The flying fox book is