Network/Video troubles

No one in particular gt7783b at prism.gatech.edu
Sat Feb 24 19:07:52 EST 1996

Because of my recent attempts to run Netscape, I decided to upgrade my
video card.  I bought a Trident 8900 SVGA card, 1MB memory.  It seems
to work fine.  However, when I boot linux, the autodetection no
longer recognizes my NE2000 clone:  it now detects a Western Digital
8013 card.  Naturally, now my networking software doesn't work.  I
tried forcing detection with append in lilo.conf, but I don't know how
to specify the type of card.  Can anyone help me out?

Two more odd symptoms:  After a cold boot, the ethernet card detects
as above, but after a warm reboot, it detects properly as a NE2000 and
hangs the machine.  Also, during a cold boot, the card is detected
as a WD at 0x300, but ifconfig detects it at 0x310.

I don't know what to do at this point.  My howto's don't really help
me much, nor do the man pages for lilo.conf or anything else I've
tried.  Hardware is not my strong point.

One more thing:  the video card manual suggested disabling autodetect
if there were network troubles.  I tried, no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks,
wes