Linux box crash

Eric eric at uxeric.compgen.com
Fri Feb 23 09:36:14 EST 1996

If you look in /etc/rc.d/rc.S you'll see how the partitions are mounted
read write and read only.  After the root file system is mounted
read-only, the filesysem should be checked with

/sbin/fsck -A -a

If you crashed, fsck will actually do something, and probably find a lot
of errors on your disk. If you tried to 'recover' by using some
floppies, you should definately run fsck on all of your partitions
before you try to write to that partition!  If you run fsck without the
-A option, it will ask you to confirm a bunch of information.

FYI /etc/rc.d/rc.S script started to fail when I replaced the link of
/bin/sh from bash to ash.  Changing back to bash 'seemed' to help, but I
didn't crash my machine again to fully test it.

-Eric.