Network Cards

James W. Lynch jwl at atlanta.cray.com
Tue Feb 20 12:00:57 EST 1996

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From ale-owner at cc.gatech.edu Tue Feb 20 09:55 EST 1996
> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 06:32:08 -0800 (PST)
> From: Todd B SanMillan <bain at crl.com>
> To: Alanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at cc.gatech.edu>
> Subject: Network Cards
>
> I recently was given some WD8003e ethernet cards. While Linux is smart
> enough to figure out how to use them, Novell is not.  They are no longer
> supported, but SMC has an upgrade offer.  If I send in the cards, I can
> get their 16bit ISA card (Elite, I think) for $50 each. I don't have any
> critical need for networking, just trying to teach myself, so I don't
> need the best and the brightest. So I could just buy some NE2000 clones
> for less. What I would like is some feedback on experiences with cheap
> netcards.  Is this going to be a real headache getting them to work?  Any
> brands to avoid? Should I just go ahead and take advantage of this
> *special offer*?
> TIA
> Todd
For what it's worth, I had no trouble at all making a pair of cheap
AT-Lan-Tec, NE2000 cards work fine here.  The speed was just a bit
slower than the Intel EtherExpress cards, which we had a devil
of a time making work.  I understand NE2000 cards aren't equal, so
if you go that route, be sure you use a brand that you know someone
else is using and works.

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl at cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269