XWindows Help

Weera Watinpongpan phxxs002 at cmu1.chiangmai.ac.th
Sun Feb 18 08:03:52 EST 1996

Hello Guys,
	I purchased a package of Linux since November,1995 but now I
still can not using XWindows. I tried so many times to setup it but never
successful. I read both HOWTO and Linux manual and also usenet but I can
not solve this problem. My problem is that when I type "startx" to
startup the XWindows but there is an error message like below. This is my
PC specification

1. IBM Compatible AMD80486DX4-100
2. Philips Monitor MODEL 7CM5299.
3. Cirrus Logic 5428
4. Two HDD 1st is 540MB Seagates ,2nd is 240MB Quantum.
5. OS including WIN95, OS/2(Final Beta) in the 1st HDD and Linux in the
   2nd HDD
6. Enhanced controller card. I can not remember it is model.
7. 1 ATAPI CD-ROM of Matsushita CR-581-J
8. Plug and Play 16 bit sound card . True single chip ESS1688 with IDE
interface for double and quard speed CD-ROM drives.
9. 14,400 bps Internal Modem (Zoltrix)

The error message when typed "startx"

	I know that it is related to the X server but I do not know how
to configure it. I tried to use XF86Config but there are some choices
that I do not understant and do not know how to answer such as my monitor
model which is 7CM5299 Philips. This model is not in the HOWTO or Linux
manual so I do not sure about monitor model. There are the other mistake
that I do not sure when I use XF86Config.
	If anyone can solve this problem or have the same problem like me
please mail to me.
						Thank You