similar CD-ROM problems

David C. Snyder dsnyder at dsnyder.mindspring.com
Fri Feb 16 23:39:18 EST 1996

Hello Al,

In the past, to get IDE CD-ROM's to work, I've resorted to creating
floppies from the CD-ROM for the A and D series.  I then install Linux
from floppy and build the kernel (see /usr/src/linux/README) with
support for IDE CD-ROM.  After I boot the new kernel, I cd to /dev
and run:

   sh -x /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide1

That creates the device files that you need for your CD-ROM.  Mine
has always been /dev/hdc, so a line like this in the /etc/fstab file
lets me mount it with just 'mount /cdrom':

   /dev/hdc     /cdrom    iso9660   ro,user,noauto    0   0

Yours may be /dev/hdd or something else.  Once you're up with your
CD-ROM mounted, you can install the rest of the sets.

I hope this helps...

-- David
   dsnyder at mindspring.com