CDROM Woes

Mark Dyson corbie at wrldnet.net
Fri Feb 16 19:17:46 EST 1996

I'm attempting to install Linux on a 120 MHz 486DX (AMD Chip) with 12MB =
of RAM, a Dynamite Power VL (2MB) VLB video card and a Media Vision =
MV2100 "multimedia kit" sound card/CDROM pair.  The CDROM is the Sanyo =
CDR-H94A, and the sound card is a MediaVision "16-bit Jazz" chipset.

I just (as of 15 Feb) downloaded the entire Slackware 3.0 set, and made =
boot/root floppies using the asjcd and color images.

If I boot with no bootprompt settings, I get a complaint that no CD is =
found at 0x340.  According to the CD documentation, valid addresses are =
300, 310 and 390, default 390.  There are no hardware jumpers for this, =
the addy is set via driver arguments.  I've tried 'ramdisk sjcd=3D0x390' =
as well as 0x300 and 0x310 and each time it says no CD support exists at =
that addy.  I tried 'mount' instead of 'ramdisk' with the same effect.  =
Furthermore, when I insert the root disk, the image gunzips and then the =
system locks up requiring a hard re-set.

Yes, I can install Linux from a hard drive partition, and have done so =
once already, but I have at least one Linux application that must be run =
from CD (Morse Telecomms Slackware Pro 2.3 Answerdisk) and would very =
much like to be able to mount this silly CDROM from Linux.

Any ideas out there?

Mark "Corbie" Dyson
corbie at wrldnet.net