Removing lilo boot and Linux from disk

Steven A. Duchene sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com
Fri Feb 9 11:12:36 EST 1996

Randy wrote:
> I believe that under dos the command that you want to use
> is     fdisk /mbr
>
> Jim Copenhaver - Atlanta- Northridge wrote:
> >
> > I want to purchase an additional disk for Linux and restore my "c" drive
> > to it's previous "dos only" mode.  How can I remove lilo and restore my
> > partition to it's orig. size?  I would rather not take the big hammer and
> > reformat/restore.  Making the former Linux partition an extended "d" drive
> > would make things a pain to remember where stuff was hidden on disk (linux
> > keeps things MUCH more managable).

	"fdisk /mbr" (the MS-DOS fdisk, not the Linux fdisk BTW) will not
	restore the single partition on the disk. It MAY restore the normal
	DOS boot record. I know of no way to enlarge you DOS partition back
	to the original size to fill the disk. If I am mistaken about this
	I would be happy to know of some way to accomplish this. You will
	have to back up the data on your DOS partition, re-create the full
	size partition and re-install from backup.

--
Steve DuChene              sad at hpuerca.atl.hp.com               1-800-633-3600

	       The HP North American Response Center, Atlanta
		   X/Vue/xterminal/graphics support team
    		    I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard.