PPP defaultroute

UNIX Guru Dude geof at denali.is.net
Wed Feb 7 16:17:54 EST 1996

} > I would think that adding defaultroute to your ppp options would be
} > sufficient.  This worked for me.  See my previous posting to John.
}
} I would think so too, but I think it would only set the default route
} if there is none in place already.

Alex:

Appears you are correct.  I quote from the PPP-HOWTO regarding the
'defaultroute' option to PPP.

HOW2}   11.2.  I can reach the remote server, but I can not get anywhere else.
HOW2}
HOW2}   Did you forget the `defaultroute' parameter to pppd? This parameter
HOW2}   adds a default route into your routing system so that frames to all
HOW2}   other IP addresses will be sent to the PPP device.
HOW2}
HOW2}   The PPP software will not replace the default route if you have one
HOW2}   already set when you run pppd. This is done to prevent people from
HOW2}   destroying their default route to the ethernet routers by accident. A
HOW2}   warning message is written to the system log if the defaultroute
HOW2}   parameter is not performed for this reason.

--
PS: Please don't finger geof at denali.is.net, it tickles......

Until Later,
Geoffrey Myers  geof at denali.is.net  eiger at ichange.com  gamyers at attmail.com