Adaptec 2940

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 6 12:31:59 EST 1996

> I just installed Slackware 3.0 from the latest InfoMagic release, and
> noticed the support for the Adaptec 2940.  I am considering
> "upgrading" my 1542, and wanted to solicit opinions on it before I
> waste my time/money. Any relevant personal experiences or anecdotes
> would be most appreciated.

Well, I recently got linux up and running on group of seven Pentium 90s
with those exact cards installed. The performance is pretty damn good. I
have an Adaptex 15XX at home and its much much slower. However, even with
the speed increase, I can't justify paying $300+ for this card right now.
Unless you are doing lots of swapping or compiling very large programs, its
just not worth it.

Vernard Martin
(vernard.martin at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/vernard/
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332